WHAT ARE DARK CIRCLES?
When we are tired and sleep-deprived, the next day in the morning we see dark circles under the eyes. Dark circles are nothing but the shadow of puffiness of the eyelids or hollow under the eye. Sometimes these can be due to discoloration of the skin under the eyes.
Dark circles are not a medical condition, it is simply a sign of stress and fatigue. The skin under the eyes is the most delicate and thin in the body. Aging causes the pigments to discolor and thus the area appears darker than the rest around the eyes. Besides, due to aging the collagen content decreases and skin thins down further, highlighting the blood vessels beneath the eyes. This gives a darker, patchy look.
Puffy eyes create a sunken appearance that looks like dark circles. Men, as well as women from all age groups, can face this issue. Occasionally, it can be found in children too. Remember, the eyes are the mirror of our personality. Keeping the eyes healthy and sparkling and keeping the area around it blemish-free helps to boost confidence and give a “feel good” feeling.
Dark circles are the number one concern amongst the people of the USA. Studies revealed that products designed to treat dark circles saw a surge from $588 million annually to $1.08 billion in a span of five years. Since dark circles can be quite unsightly and give a perennial “you look tired and exhausted” appearance, it is better to treat them immediately.
Having puffy eyes or dark circles have an equal contributory mark from heredity and genetics. Caring for the eyes in a proper manner with a balanced diet, proper sleep and stress-free life can ensure that you will never have to deal with dark circles in your life.
|#1 Dr. Dennis Gross Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Serum – Discover more|
|#2 Clinique Even Better Eyes ™ Dark Circle Corrector – Discover more|
Read more about recommended products below.
WHAT CAUSES DARK CIRCLES?
There are innumerable reasons that contribute to this condition. Even though this is not a medical condition, it is definitely related to the overall well-being of a person.
- Fatigue: Dark circles are a result of fatigue and stress, more than just being tired. The present lifestyle of rush and competition creates undue stress on the mind, resulting in improper sleep.
- Alcohol consumption: Another unfortunate reason is the consumption of alcohol to “relieve” stress. What we fail to realize is that alcohol has an adverse effect on our body systems and it dehydrates the skin. As it is the skin under the eyes is delicate and thin. The dehydration further makes it devoid of moisture, resulting in wrinkled appearance. The blood vessels get dilated and lend a dark patch under the eye.
- General dehydration: Besides the dehydration caused by alcohol, generally, too, if you consume less water, then the body does not get necessary hydration to keep the tissues and cells moist and supple. A dry skin highlights the blood vessels under the skin that appear as dark patches or circles.
- The strain on eyes: Sitting in front of a computer or television brings a great deal of strain on the eyes, resulting in puffiness. The strain enlarges the blood vessels near the eyes and thus display dark circles.
- Allergies: This is a very uncomfortable phase when there is a constant urge to scratch and rub the skin due to itchiness. Histamine released during allergies to fight the harmful bacteria cause the dilation of blood vessels, thus resulting in dark patches.
- Age: This plays a crucial factor since as a person ages, the collagen production decreases, and the suppleness and elasticity of the skin are lost, resulting in wrinkled and patchy look. This is more prominent around the eyes where the skin becomes thin and dry.
- Genetics: Dark circles can run as a tendency in a family and thus pass on easily to you. This inherited trait since early childhood may either worsen or disappear as you age.
- Exposure to sun: Overexposure to sunlight’s UV rays can produce excess melanin, which is responsible for lending the color to the skin. Saturated melanin around eyes results in darker pigmentation that looks like dark circles.
WHY DO YOU NEED AN UNDER EYE CREAM?
Under-eye cream assists in diminishing the dullness and patchiness around the eyes. They are specially formulated to treat the delicate skin surrounding the eyes and are quite different in composition than general face creams. The under-eye cream is actually a moisturizer with some skin lightening elements.
Nonetheless, before purchasing expensive under eye cream, you can try some simple yet effective home remedies.
- Cold compress: Take some ice and gently rub it around the eyes to give it a cooling effect and relax the puffed up skin. You can also try dipping two spoons in ice-cold water and gently massaging the eye area. Metal absorbs the heat from the skin and soothes it.
- Cucumber slices: Cucumber is astringent and mild bleach. It reduces the darkness of the skin.
- Green tea bags: After brewing the tea, instead of discarding the tea bags, they can be kept on the eyes. The caffeine tightens the skin around eyes and tannin enhances blood circulation, thus eliminating puffiness.
However, as skin experts we recommend you to try these following products:
Dark circles appear due to various reasons. However, with a proper diet, sufficient sleep, and stress-free attitude, it is easy to avoid them. Some simple home remedies and these trusted, branded creams help to get a smooth and even-toned look, reduce puffiness, and eliminate dark circles.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text css_animation=”bounceInUp”]
Dr. Dennis Gross Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Serum
Dr. Dennis Gross Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Serum is available in a 0.5 fl. oz / 15 ml bottle.
Retinol helps in smoothing the wrinkles and fine lines around eyes, whereas Ferulic aids in brightening the skin. The serum reduces puffiness and tightens and firms up the skin. Retinol is known to boost collagen production. Dark circles are a result of the loss of collagen and thus diminished elasticity in the skin. Once the skin regains its firmness, the dark patches automatically vanish.
This serum is useful for any skin type – oily, dry, or combination skin. It can be safely applied to the entire eye area, including eyelids. It is quickly absorbed by the skin and starts the hydrating effect immediately.
The main ingredients are a plant-based antioxidant Ferulic acid that boosts the performance of other antioxidants and Retinol, which restores the skin’s elasticity. Licorice Root Extract is a skin lightening and anti-inflammatory agent. Bearberry extract is a natural alternative to hydroquinone and has the ability to rectify hyper-pigmentation and boost cell regeneration. Other ingredients include Salicylic acid, Caffeine, Glycolic acid, Glycerin, Sodium Hyaluronate, and many others.
Considerable numbers of users have found the product to reduce fine lines and wrinkles and brighten the dark circles. It is recommended, as you can safely wear your makeup over it without cracking.
Clinique Even Better Eyes Dark Circle Corrector
Clinique Even Better Eyes ™ Dark Circle Corrector is available in a 10 ml bottle. It has a metal tip that has a cooling effect as it massages around the eyes. This is an ophthalmologist-tested product. It is a refreshing treatment for the eye area that instantaneously brightens any skin tone.
Gently squeeze a little cream in the contoured applicator and glide it gently across back and forth in the under-eye region. Carefully massage extra cream with the finger till well absorbed in the skin. For better results, use it twice a day – morning and night.
Along with other chemical ingredients, the product contains Caffeine, St. Paul’s Wort extract, olive fruit extract, green tea leaf extract, and wheat bran extract amongst other natural ingredients. The company informs to check the ingredients before purchase as they are subject to change from time to time.
The product is Unisex and suitable for all skin types. The cream gives visible results by making the skin tone even and reducing dark circles. It also hydrates the skin. Clinically proven fact states that the dark circles are visibly lightened by 30% in 12 weeks.